See Resource Links lower on this page
- Resist Extremism Pocket Guide to Relentless Nonviolent Resistance, by Mel White
May 2016, brand new from Mel. Download Size: 4 MB; Format: PDF
- What the Bible Says — And Doesn’t Say — About Homosexuality, by Mel White
New 2016 Color Illustrated Edition; Download Size: 6 MB; Format: PDF; more info below
- What Science Says About Homosexuality, by Jeff Lutes
Different from Mel’s booklet, “What the BIBLE says…” this one is about SCIENCE; Download Size: 3 MB; Format: PDF
What the Bible Says — And Doesn’t Say — About Homosexuality
In this 24-page booklet, Mel White puts forward these eight premises:
- Most people have not carefully and prayerfully researched the Biblical texts used by some people to condemn God’s lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender children.
- Historically, people’s misinterpretation of the Bible has left a trail of suffering, bloodshed, and death.
- We should be open to new truth from Scripture. Even heroes of the Christian faith have changed their minds about the meaning of various Biblical texts.
- The Bible is a book about God. The Bible is not a book about human sexuality.
- We miss what these passages say about God when we spend so much time debating what they say about sex.
- The Biblical authors are silent about homosexual orientation as we know it today. They neither approve it nor condemn it.
- The prophets, Jesus, and the Biblical authors say nothing about homosexual orientation as we understand it today. But, they are clear about this one thing. As we search for truth, we are to “Love one another.”
- Whatever some people believe the Bible seems to say about homosexuality, they must not use that belief to deny homosexuals their basic civil rights. To discriminate against sexual or gender minorities is unjust and un-American.
What the Science Says — And Doesn’t Say — About Homosexuality
“A concise, accurate, and readable summary of scientific knowledge about homosexuality and gay people. This lucid resource calmly and effectively demolishes the hateful myths and slurs spread by anti-gay forces in U.S. society.”
–Simon LeVay, PhD, neuroscientist, teacher, author, and pioneer in the study of brain structure and sexual orientation
“This is a current, comprehensive, and rigorous review of literature taken from our most well-respected social science and medical journals. Backed by all the major health, education, and mental health professional associations, Lutes makes an airtight case for ending the cruel and pejorative stereotype against gay and lesbian persons that continue to persist in our homes, institutions, and churches.”
–Marsha McDonough, PhD, Psychologist and Family Therapist, Clinical Member of the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy
“Not content to allow religious dogma to discredit scientific inquiry, or for scientific observation to dismiss spiritual insight, Lutes systematically loosens the death grip of obsolete and discredited pseudo-science on homosexuality. This amazing booklet brings a breath of fresh air, exposing toxic religious misinterpretations, shedding new light on the complexities of human sexuality, and offering new hope to gay and lesbian men and women, their families, and friends. A must-read for anyone seeking to know the truth!”
–Paul W. Dodd, DMin, LPC, American Association of Pastoral Counselors (AAPC) Fellow
“What the Science Says is a wonderfully concise, entirely accurate, and balanced presentation of the research on gay and lesbian issues. I especially recommend it for people who are in the process of coming out or still struggling with their basic love orientations, as well as for heterosexual readers.”
–Robert-Jay Green, PhD, Executive Director, Rockway Institute, Co-Author, Lesbians and Gays in Couples and Families
- Matthew Vines video on homosexuality and the Bible
- Trevor Project: National help line for LGBT people in need
- Gay and lesbian national help line
- Center for transgender equality
- Find an open and affirming church in your town
- Find a Metropolitan Community Church in your town
- PFLAG: Parents, friends, families of lesbians and gays