Before the Action Begins: TAKE YOUR VOW.
Vows Taken by Marchers with Gandhi, 1939
1. He must have a living faith in God.
2. He must believe in truth and nonviolence as his creed and, therefore, have faith in the inherent goodness of human nature which he evokes by his truth and love expressed through suffering.
3. He must lead a chaste life and be ready and willing for the sake of his cause to give up life and goods.
4. He must be a habitual khadi-wearer and spinner (the plain usually homemade woven cloth).
5. He must be a teetotaller (complete alcohol abstinence) and be free from all intoxicants.
6. He must carry out with a willing heart all the rules of discipline as may be laid down.
7. He should carry out the jail rules unless they are especially devised to hurt his self-respect.
Vows Taken by Marchers with Dr. King, 1963
1. Meditate daily on the life and teachings of Jesus.
2. Remember that the nonviolent movement seeks justice and reconciliation – not victory.
3. Walk and talk in the manner of love; for God is love.
4. Pray daily to be used by God in order that all men and women might be free.
5. Sacrifice personal wishes that all might be free.
6. Observe with friend & foes the ordinary rules of courtesy.
7. Perform regular service for others and for the world.
8. Refrain from violence of fist, tongue, and heart.
9. Strive to be in good spiritual and bodily health.
10. Follow the directions of the Movement leaders and of the captains on demonstrations.
Vows taken by Soulforce Marchers before New Orleans action
1. I will meditate on the life and teachings of Jesus, Gandhi, King or other truth seekers
2. I will remember that the nonviolent movement seeks justice and reconciliation—not victory.
3. I will walk and talk in the manner of love and nonviolence.
4. I will contemplate daily what I can do so that all can be free.
5. I will sacrifice my own personal wishes that all might be free.
6. I will observe with friend and foes the ordinary rules of courtesy.
7. I will perform regular service for others and for the world.
8. I will refrain from violence of fist, tongue, and heart.
9. I will strive to be in good spiritual and bodily health.
10. I will follow the directions of the squad leaders and other Soulforce leaders on our direct action.