A Check list for Action Day (Part 1)
– Convene group
– List of names and information cards
– Check-in with everyone
– Centering exercise
– Make sure everyone understands
– Remind everyone how quickly things can change
1. CONVENE GROUP
Make sure that you are on time or early and you are located where your group can find you. You will be given a large card with the number of your group to hold so people can find you.
2. LIST OF NAMES AND INFORMATION CARDS
- Find all the members of your group and make sure that they are on your squad list.
- Add any new people to the list and/or note ones who do not show up.
- Make sure you have a copy of the personal information card from everyone.
- Also be sure that the new member puts the necessary information on the back of their name badge.
- We are planning for groups of 10-15. More may join you as we reconfigure for new arrivals, so be sure that you have everyone’s name and cards as you move toward arrest.
- If anyone comes wanting to join the vigil and they do not have a Soulforce shirt-it is up to you to decide. Whatever you decide you must have extra nonviolence pledge cards to have newcomers sign and carry.
- Some locals may want join your vigil. That’s your call.
3. CHECK-IN WITH EVERYONE
- Make sure that each squad member seems physically, emotionally and spiritually ready to participate.
- Review the requirements for arrest: 18 or over, sign pledge, valid id, ability to pay fine, no limiting medical issues, name on list, etc.
- Check to see if all have what they need for the weather.
- Make sure that everyone has the local emergency number given to you in the training.
4. DO SOME FORM OF CENTERING EXERCISE ACTIVITY
- Pray, meditate, sing, talk with each other as appropriate until the action/vigil begins.
5. If folks appear afraid or angry, be sure to check in with them.
6. MAKE SURE THAT EVERYONE KNOWS WE ARE ENGAGING IN A NONVIOLENT ACT OF VOLUNTARY REDEMPTIVE SUFERING.
- Invite them to prayerfully offer any discomfort, fear, inconvenience, pain, and anger to the Spirit as an antidote to the suffering and persecution our sisters and brothers are facing. If it is helpful ask them to offer this in the name of a particular person.
7. REMIND EVERYONE HOW QUICKLY THINGS CAN CHANGE
- You will be the liaison with the Soulforce leadership team and will direct your squad members in responding to those sudden changes.
- You will be told before the event of the changes that have already been called for.