PROTEST THE EXTREMIST’S WAR ON LGBTQ RIGHTS
War Against Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer People
More than 200 million Americans are members of religious organizations that condemn homosexuality and homosexuals
- Their leaders ignore Jefferson’s “wall of separation” between church and state.
- They elect federal and state officials who believe that the Bible (as they understand it) is a higher authority than the U.S. Constitution (that they have sworn to “support and defend”). These religion-based politicians are determined to create new laws that reverse the gains LGBTQ Americans have made and permanently deny them all the rights and protections the U.S. Constitution guarantees.
- Qualified, hardworking Americans are denied job opportunities, fired or otherwise discriminated against just because they are LGBTQ.
- There are 7 million LGBTQ private sector employees, 1 million state and local employees, and 200,000 employees of the federal governmentc xxiii with no federal law to protect them from employment discrimination.
- 29 states have no laws that prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation.
- 33 states have no laws that protect on the basis of gender identity. As a result, LGBT people face serious discrimination in employment, including being fired, being denied a promotion and experiencing harassment on the job.
- As of January, 2014, there are 33 states that deny lesbian and gay couples the rights and protections of marriage.
- Since 2002 extremist politicians have proposed a Federal Marriage Amendment (FMA) to amend the U.S. Constitution to deny the rights and protections of marriage to all lesbian and gay Americans.
- In 2013 a Tea-party backed member of the House introduced it again. It is very apparent that political and religious extremists are determined to pass the FMA.
- The United Methodist Church (with 15 million American members) “does not condone the practice of homosexuality, considers the practice incompatible with Christian teaching, refuses to ordain or marry and is presently holding religious courts to try their UMC ministers who marry lesbian or gay couples.
- The Southern Baptist Convention, (with 30 million American members) declares that “even a desire to engage in a homosexual relationship is always sinful, impure, degrading, shameful, unnatural, indecent and perverted.”
- The Roman Catholic Church (with 60 million American members) still teaches that “homosexual orientation is objectively disordered” and that our loving, intimate, same-sex acts are “intrinsically evil.”
- The Latter-Day Saints (Mormons, with 12 million members) in principle forbids homosexual behavior. Sexual relations outside of opposite-sex marriage are contrary to the will of God.